Last Updated on May 28, 2022 by Maria Brittis
Choose one of these outdoor lighting ideas to make your back yard super stylish.
How To Know What Is the Best Outdoor Lighting For your Home
Lighting is important for your outdoor space. It provides ambiance and security for your home. When we are designing my home, lighting was carefully planned with our builder. Check out the different types of lighting for different reasons.
Dark outdoor spaces isn’t that most inviting place to have family gathering. By having the right outdoor lighting you can enjoy hours of fun with family and friends. I remember when growing up I would be scared to go outside because my parents never installed any lights outside except for a small door light. We really missed out on family gatherings that could have gone for hours.
After doing some research I discovered that there are four types of outdoor lights. .
- Ambient lighting.
- Security lighting.
- Accent lighting.
- Decorative lighting.
- Ambient lighting is lights that give a nice glow at night to your outdoor space such as string lighting above outdoor tables. Solar lights around pool spaces to create a glow.
- Security lighting that deters prowlers and which illuminate you walkways around your property.
- Decorative outdoor lighting such as lanterns, chandeliers and sconces.
- Accent Lighting are great for accentuating a garden feature or plants.
To continue the conversation on these types of outdoor lights I have features 20 bloggers who have created amazing outdoor spaces using these types of lighting.
Creative Outdoor Lighting Ideas
- It’s important to me to make my backyard space memorable for both my family and guests. I installed solar lights around the space where its further away from my home. Its inexpensive way to add ambient lighting without breaking the bank. Solar path lights are a smart option, and stylish too. Consider adding them to hard-to-reach areas, where it would normally be costly to add traditional landscape lights.
2. Ambiance is everything for family gathering. I love how Wendy from H2O Bungalow decorated her back yard . She decorates her patio space with string lights which is a great example of ambient lighting. She has an amazing tutorial on how to install them.
3. For accent lighting I love these glowing Orb landscape lights. Karen from The Art of Doing Stuff shows how you can create these pretty inexpensively.
4. I love exploring for treasure on the land. Angie (Post Cards From The Ridge) found old glass pieces by the creek and made these solar powered sea glass mason jars. The sea glass shimmers inside the mason jar are great to add ambient lights to a table or scattered around the patio floor.
5. For a beautiful place to have a party create outdoor patio and privacy space with dollar store whiskey barrels. The barrels with the light poles accent this space beautifully. Check out the complete DIY at Southern Crush At Home.
6. For decorative lighting Navage Patch has the most beautiful outdoor projects. In love with their Mason Jar chandelier. What magical night having this chandelier hanging over dinner.
7. For last minute lighting ideas for a party I hung string lighting by attaching it to two trees. It created the right of amount ambiance for gatherings at the table. Nighttime is a relaxing time and I guarantee people won’t want to leave.
8. I love the idea of using rope lighting to provide a nice lighting effect to your deck. It’s a great look for evening gathering. The Handy Man’s Daughter tutorials is very easy to follow.
9. Both decorative and mood enhancer. I love how Laura from Inspiration For Moms created this little oasis in her back yard. She hung a hammock and decorated with string lights and lanterns. What a beautiful place to relax and read a book or hang together with a loved one.
10. Building pergola is no easy job. But Erin from Practical Whimsy Designs makes it look easy with her step by step instructions. I loved this design because there is plenty of room to hang string lights and lots of lanterns. Great Job!
11. Here is a great way to brighten your deck using solar deck lights. What I love about this tutorial is that she installed them going down the stairs. Great safety feature. To see more check out Craftivity Designs
12. Kim (From Farm To Florida) was looking for something to jazz her front porch. Her choice of decorative solar lantern wall lights was a great pick. These lights can be hung like lantern or placed in your yard. I love how they added some warmth to her landscape.
Atrsy Pretty Plants has 3 super creative outdoor lighting Ideas
13. Artsy Pretty Plants has so many beautiful outdoor light ideas. Her privacy screen using twigs and fairy lights is genius .
14. Here is a perfect way to decorate you patio with this DIY twig lights stand.
15. Illuminate your outdoor space with DIY Wine Bottle Lights (Solar)
16: Gail from MyRepurposed Life has so many great ideas for outdoor solar lights. She used a old glass globe and made this pretty hanging glass solar hanging light.
17: Another great idea for decorative lighting. Gail used was using solar lights, hanging prisms and a Dollar Store basket. She created this beautiful lighting fixture that sparkles outside.
18: Nothing more than a beautiful than a decorative outdoor chandelier with solar lights that glimmer at night, During the day its a planter with lovely plants. See it here at My Crafty Mom.
19: Roxanne created this beautiful string lights using large garden pots. It’s a brilliant idea. To see this well thought out tutorial check out here at her blog My Honey Comb Home.
20: Susan from Momcrieff creates another lovely landscape ideas using solar lights to highlight flowers in your backyard. Always a favorite of mine.
For More Creative Outdoor Lighting Ideas