20 Creative Outdoor Lighting Ideas You Will Love
Choose one of these outdoor lighting ideas to make your back yard super stylish.
How To Know What Is the Best Outdoor Lighting For your Home
Lighting is important for your outdoor space. It provides ambiance and security for your home. When we are designing my home, lighting was carefully planned with our builder. Check out the different types of lighting for different reasons.
Dark outdoor spaces isn’t that most inviting place to have family gathering. By having the right outdoor lighting you can enjoy hours of fun with family and friends. I remember when growing up I would be scared to go outside because my parents never installed any lights outside except for a small door light. We really missed out on family gatherings that could have gone for hours.
After doing some research I discovered that there are four types of outdoor lights. .
- Ambient lighting.
- Security lighting.
- Accent lighting.
- Decorative lighting.
- Ambient lighting is lights that give a nice glow at night to your outdoor space such as string lighting above outdoor tables. Solar lights around pool spaces to create a glow.
- Security lighting that deters prowlers and which illuminate you walkways around your property.
- Decorative outdoor lighting such as lanterns, chandeliers and sconces.
- Accent Lighting are great for accentuating a garden feature or plants.
To continue the conversation on these types of outdoor lights I have features 20 bloggers who have created amazing outdoor spaces using these types of lighting.
Creative Outdoor Lighting Ideas
- It’s important to me to make my backyard space memorable for both my family and guests. I installed solar lights around the space where its further away from my home. Its inexpensive way to add ambient lighting without breaking the bank. Solar path lights are a smart option, and stylish too. Consider adding them to hard-to-reach areas, where it would normally be costly to add traditional landscape lights.
2. Ambiance is everything for family gathering. I love how Wendy from H2O Bungalow decorated her back yard . She decorates her patio space with string lights which is a great example of ambient lighting. She has an amazing tutorial on how to install them.
3. For accent lighting I love these glowing Orb landscape lights. Karen from The Art of Doing Stuff shows how you can create these pretty inexpensively.
4. I love exploring for treasure on the land. Angie (Post Cards From The Ridge) found old glass pieces by the creek and made these solar powered sea glass mason jars. The sea glass shimmers inside the mason jar are great to add ambient lights to a table or scattered around the patio floor.
5. For a beautiful place to have a party create outdoor patio and privacy space with dollar store whiskey barrels. The barrels with the light poles accent this space beautifully. Check out the complete DIY at Southern Crush At Home.
6. For decorative lighting Navage Patch has the most beautiful outdoor projects. In love with their Mason Jar chandelier. What magical night having this chandelier hanging over dinner.
7. For last minute lighting ideas for a party I hung string lighting by attaching it to two trees. It created the right of amount ambiance for gatherings at the table. Nighttime is a relaxing time and I guarantee people won’t want to leave.
8. I love the idea of using rope lighting to provide a nice lighting effect to your deck. It’s a great look for evening gathering. The Handy Man’s Daughter tutorials is very easy to follow.
9. Both decorative and mood enhancer. I love how Laura from Inspiration For Moms created this little oasis in her back yard. She hung a hammock and decorated with string lights and lanterns. What a beautiful place to relax and read a book or hang together with a loved one.
10. Building pergola is no easy job. But Erin from Practical Whimsy Designs makes it look easy with her step by step instructions. I loved this design because there is plenty of room to hang string lights and lots of lanterns. Great Job!
11. Here is a great way to brighten your deck using solar deck lights. What I love about this tutorial is that she installed them going down the stairs. Great safety feature. To see more check out Craftivity Designs
12. Kim (From Farm To Florida) was looking for something to jazz her front porch. Her choice of decorative solar lantern wall lights was a great pick. These lights can be hung like lantern or placed in your yard. I love how they added some warmth to her landscape.
Atrsy Pretty Plants has 3 super creative outdoor lighting Ideas
13. Artsy Pretty Plants has so many beautiful outdoor light ideas. Her privacy screen using twigs and fairy lights is genius .
14. Here is a perfect way to decorate you patio with this DIY twig lights stand.
15. Illuminate your outdoor space with DIY Wine Bottle Lights (Solar)
16: Gail from MyRepurposed Life has so many great ideas for outdoor solar lights. She used a old glass globe and made this pretty hanging glass solar hanging light.
17: Another great idea for decorative lighting. Gail used was using solar lights, hanging prisms and a Dollar Store basket. She created this beautiful lighting fixture that sparkles outside.
18: Nothing more than a beautiful than a decorative outdoor chandelier with solar lights that glimmer at night, During the day its a planter with lovely plants. See it here at My Crafty Mom.
19: Roxanne created this beautiful string lights using large garden pots. It’s a brilliant idea. To see this well thought out tutorial check out here at her blog My Honey Comb Home.
20: Susan from Momcrieff creates another lovely landscape ideas using solar lights to highlight flowers in your backyard. Always a favorite of mine.
For More Creative Outdoor Lighting Ideas
12 Lighting Ideas That Will Transform Your Home
Create A Statement With Lighting Fixtures In Your Home
How To Pick The Perfect Lighting For Your Kitchen
How To Create Shutter Lighting Fixture Perfect For Any Space
That teak table and chairs, in the evening, with the lights, and the wine….. I am drooling!
I love dining in the evening, sometimes its perfect and other times its to buggy, but i still love it. thanks
You definitely made your outdoor space very “resort-like”! Great job. The furniture you choose is beautiful too!
I am happy to hear that, I love making people feel comfy here when they come to visit. I would love to own a B&B
Your outdoor space looks amazing! Also, that orb light idea is so clever! Will have to give if a try.
I know I want to try to make it over the summer.
what a serene setting! Love the lighting touches.
I love lights and garden spaces, something magical about it.
Maria, you did a great job choosing these awesome pieces from Lumens. I especially love the furniture pieces and the outdoor lighting! Pinning 🙂
Outside is a place to relax and think about nature, so its a place close to my heart.
You are so right. I love to hang out in our backyard and watch the sun set.
Thanks for stopping by! I am so glad to hear that you love hanging outside too, its great for the mind!
Maria, you’ve created such a welcoming outdoor space! Who wouldn’t want to sit by the fire pit or enjoy next to the fire pit or enjoy a glass of wine under the twinkle evening lights. You nailed the resort ambiance!
Thanks Dear! I love entertaining under the stars! 🙂
So pretty! Love the lantern lighting. I would never get any work done. I would just want to sit right in that chair with a glass of wine 🙂
I know thats all I want to do is have a glass of wine at night outside! lol
Lovely Maria! You have such a wonderful yard to experiment with different decor. Love the lumens lighting and table set. Fits great in your yard!
I love the table and chairs with the lights. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much in checking out the outdoor ideas for entertaining, I hope it helped you.
Theses outdoor furniture are very nice
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog, I truly appreciate it. Maria
I love these spaces!
I absolutely love the space with the string lights. I would love to relax under the stars there!
Meg, I know I love haning out when the stars are out!
What beautiful ideas! I love your outdoor space!
Emily, thanks so much for the visit, let me know if you have any questons!
Love the ambiance you created here. It’s wonderful.
Thanks so much! its fun to be in a outdoor space that is peaceful.
You house is always so beautiful Maria! I love your outdoor space! What a great place to sit and relax and those lights are the perfect finishing touch! Pinning and sharing!
Thanks Cat for visiting, your comments means a great deal to me! Hugs Maria
This is lovely furniture! I love the outdoor furniture best. I like having nice comfy chairs for the patio area
Samantha Glad you like the post on the outdoor spaces, its a place that I love decorating and spending quality time there.
This outdoor setting is stunning. I am just having my garden revamped so this is great in sport x
Laurie, Hope you are well, thanks for visiting! GLad you like my patio space, its my hidden relaxing place.
I love a great outdoor space and this one is so simple and elegant! I love decorating with nature so I’m happy to have found your blog, it is such a fun idea.
Jessica, I am so thrilled you found my blog!Now that you found me! I’ll stop by yours! thanks
This is gorgeous! I love the view of your backyard. It’s so peaceful. So happy you shared at Dishing it & Digging It link party. We love having you.
Wow! Love this outdoor dining you’ve got going on here! Looks so relaxing. Dang..these pictures look like they came out of a magazine and they should be in one! Love it all Visiting from Thoughts of Home today. Hugs and blessings, Cindy
You made my day, thank for visiting my little old blog, will head over to yours! Hugs Maria
resort-like is for sure! enjoy!
Thanks a ton! you are so sweet! Hopw you enjoy the weekend Maria
Thank you Maria for joining us at TOHOT and for another beautiful post.
I love your tips.
White Spray Paint
Thanks Laura, you and Joyce are such great bloggy people! Maria
This looks like the perfect place to gather with family and friends!! Love the teak wood look and those string lights give a romantic look. You have put together a wonderful gathering space!!
Thank you so much for stopping by, its a great feeling that my post is liked.
Hope you have a nice weekend.
This looks really beautiful! I’m currently on the lookout for furniture in my patio and this has really inspired me 🙂
I am happy you have been inspired! They do have some really nice choices!
What a great outdoor space! We just added some outdoor string lights and I love the soft glow it gives.
This space is absolutely everything, I love it!
Sandra, Thanks for the kinds words, it was a nice area for me to relax, love spending time there with my family
Love this!! Very gorgeous
Thanks for linking up with Welcome Home Wednesdays! Live every Wednesday at 7AM CT.
liz @ j for joiner
Liz, love your parti, its a really good one, I hope you have a great weekend coming up.
What an honor to be featured on your party! thanks so much!
What a great honor! Thanks so much
Thanks so much for including mine! 🙂
My pleasure Michelle
So many pretty ideas and all so effective. The twig lights are by far my favourite, I will be stealing that idea for my home.
I know its amazing, I want to do one of them as well.
Thanks for all these ideas! Outdoor lighting is something we haven’t tackled yet.
I bet you can come up with some good ones for your garden,
I’m going to need a bigger garden, these are all so lovely. Nothing beats a beautiful garden lit up at night and while we do have a few spotlights there are no hanging ones….. yet 😀
There are so many things you can do even with a small garden. I bet you can come up with a genius lighting idea.
Love all the tips! Lighting can really make a yard go from meh to magical! Thanks for this post! 🙂
Thanks, it can make a big difference.
Outdoor lighting can make such a difference. Even on our small balcony/patio I use them to add atmosphere.
Thanks Rosemary, appreciate the love.
Maria, these are all such lovely ideas! Thank you so much for including my solar mason jar sea glass lanterns!
My pleasure, they are so lovely.
Wonderful outdoor lighting ideas! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks my dear friend appreciate your comments.