Last Updated on August 4, 2022 by Maria Brittis
Learn how to Shibori tie dye technique using a dress. You can have fun with this technique using any piece of white clothing.
What Is Shibori Tie Dyeing Technique
Shibori is a Japanese method of dyeing which is over hundred years old. It’s done with indigo, but you can apply the same techniques with other dyes. There are many ways you can fold the fabric to make different patterns. The preferred fabrics used for this technique is silk, hemp and cotton.
Supplies For Shibori Tie Dye
- RIT Indigo Blue
- Gallon of hot water
- Wooden spoon
- 1 Cup of salt
- Large pail
- Plastic gloves
How To Shibori Tie Dye
In this post I am showing you how to tie dye an old white cotton sundress. It one of my favorite dresses. It had some discolorations and this technique is perfect to hide them. You can do Shibori method t to a shirt, sheets, or pillow cases. Check out this post where I tie dyed old pillow cases.
- Wash the dress and dry it.
- Fold it lengthwise into one long fold.
- Fold it into an accordion, reversing fold different directions.
- At each end add a piece of wood & wrap a rubber band around the whole square several times. It does not matter which way.
6. Make sure you were gloves for this part. Mix all the ingredients together in a large pail outdoors. Carefully add the dress that has been folded into a square into the hot mixture. Let stay in for one hour. Rinse with water until it’s clear.
I kept the dress in the dye a little less than one hour to create a lighter pattern and color. You can control the color by how long you leave it in the dye. For brighter color leave it in longer.
I love how to turned out and the color is perfect.