Last Updated on July 8, 2022 by Maria Brittis
Dyeing silk scarves is a great way to add a little color to your life. It’s easier than you think to make your own hand dyed scarf. Below is the tutorial on how to dye a silk scarf.
I have been addicted to dyeing fabric. Lately I discovered how beautiful dyeing silk scarf is and its also very enjoyable. You can use variety of different color dyes to make bold designs.
Silk scarfs are pretty easy to dye at home. You can can add the perfect color combination to match your wardrobe. In this project I used Jacquard free flowing dye. This is a free flowing dye and no need for mixing up powder dyes. The process requires heat such as a microwave.
What Is The Best Dye For Silks
Acid dyes are the best for dyeing silks. I used something called Jacquard free flowing dye: Its a concentrated liquid dyes for silk that produces rich, transparent colors that allow the color to shine through.
What IS The Best Silk To Use For
China silk is lightweight and a breezy silk and to me its perfect for dyeing scarfs. They are the most economical of all the silks. The 11”X 6 0 “size is perfect and has a rolled hem. If you purchase this silk it’s recommended you prewash in hot water before dyeing to remove any chemical residue. This can cause the fabric to dye unevenly.
Why You Will Love To Dye a Silk Scarfs.
- They are fun and easy to make.
- Compliments any wardrobe
- They make a great gift idea.
Supplies To Make Dye Silk Scarf.
- Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow: Fabric paint that free flowing concentrated liquid color used on untreated fabric.
- White Vinegar: This makes the scarf take the dye well.
- Glass Bowl : You need this bowl for soaking in white vinegar and water solution.
How To Dye A silk Scarf
- After you wash your scarf with a mild detergent, you can add it to a glass bowl with one cup of water and one cup of white vinegar. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Empty out the solution and ring out all the water from the scarf.
2. Put back into the glass bowl and start dripping the dye. You can start with whatever color you like. I am using chartruese, blue and yellow color dyes.
3. Once you get the perfect amount of drips of dye you can move the scarf around so you get all the white parts covered with the dye.
4. Take a piece of saran wrap and wrap the top of the bowl. Put in microwave for 4 minutes. 2 minute increments. Poke holes in the saran wrap with a fork this will prevent the saran wrap to explode.
Remove the saran wrap and rinse the scarf until the water is clear.
Remove the water out and ring out the scarf. Place outside or on a drying rack to dry.
Once it dries you can iron on low heat. Now you are ready to wear your scarf.
How To Style your Dyed Silk Scarf
Need ideas for how to wear your scarf. There are so many ways to style them.
Infinity tie: Wrap the scarf around your neck and tie together the two corner and the knot facing the back
Sporty tie: Drape the scarf around your neck twice so the half knot in the front
Head band tie: To create a head band tie, start by folding scarf in 3 folds. Tie in back of your head and let ties drape in front.