I am super excited to share my DIY pinecone wreath that I made without using glue. I have made many versions of pinecone wreaths but this one was far the easiest and fastest way. Pinecones are my favorite natural element to make crafts with. Many people use them them for the holiday. I used them all year and they go with any decor style.
What Kinds of Pinecones To Use
My mom made the most beautiful pinecone wreaths. She glue each one meticulously on a wreath form. It was a work of art. I notice for her wreaths she used the same pinecones. She would cut the bottom and place it on the wreath form.
There are hundreds types of pinecones in the world. There are cylindrical, egg shape and small to very large. After ripening the opening happens when its dry and closes when it’s wet.
I have created my share of pinecone crafts. There are so many ways you can use pinecones. This wreath project is one of my favorite. In this wreath project I took mostly egg shape pinecones in different sizes to fill the wreath. I have made many variations of pinecone wreath and the best way is to attach the pinecones on a metal wreath. They last the longest instead of using glue.
I love sharing holidays crafts with you and for more ideas using pinecones try this Christmas Evergreen Swag.
What You Need to Make a DIY Pinecone Wreath
- 22 gauge floral wire (Floral or hardware wire)
- pine cones (You can pick them up on the road or purchase them in Amazon)
- wired ribbon (I loved using blue ribbon for this wreath but any color will go.
- wire cutter (scissors)
To make this pinecone wreath you will need abut 50 assorted pinecones. Every year I go searching for pinecones to add to my collections. I chose a combination of small one and medium ones. If you don’t have any laying around you can find them on Amazon or your local crafts stores.
- Organize everything ahead of time
- Decide on the shape of pinecone
- Wear gloves, pinecones can prick your hands.
How To Make DIY Pinecone wreath
- I used a 14 inch doubled wire form. Make sure it is faced with the correct way to show in the picture above.
- Using your gloves for this part. Make sure you wrap the wire twice around the middle of the pinecone. The form has 4 lines of metal. Make sure you have 2 inches of wire hanging to tie it around the first line of the wreath.
3. Once you have filled each line with pinecones. Push the pinecones close together and they will create a cluster of different shapes of pinecones. Tie the pinecones on every line of metal until the entire form is covered.
4. Once you have attached all the pinecones on each metal line. If you see any gaps you can attach smaller ones to cover them. You may have to cut the wire longer to attach it to the metal line. at the end cut any hanging wires in the back with your wire cutter.
How To Make The Bow
The ribbon Is always a nice touch to add at the end of your wreath.
To make a large bow. It’s quite easy.
1 Use ribbon that has wire in it. Leave a long 6-inch tail and fold 3 to 4 times the ribbon to form several medium loops.
2. Take a piece of the gauge wire and wrap around the middle of the ribbon that is folded. take a small piece of ribbon to cover the wire.
Spread the loops around until you have a 6 to 7 loops to form the bow. Attach the bow by adding wire in the back of the bow and tie to the wreath.