Last Updated on November 29, 2021 by Maria Brittis
My pinecone gnome ornaments is super easy to make and your Christmas tree will look adorable with them. This is a fun pinecone gnome craft that is made from variety of pinecones, felt fabric and wooden beads.
PIN THIS FOR LATER
As you know gnomes are very popular for the holidays. This is my first attempt in making one and I thought it be cute to make some from pinecones.
My mom made the cutest creatures with pinecones. I was always so excited each Christmas to see what she would make. I am planning on making a few pinecone gnomes for the grand kids.
The next time you want to make a holiday craft try making these you will love them.
Here is another post that that can teach you how to make pinecone crafts. This pinecone wreath has variety of pinecones and you can use with wire instead of glue. It will last so much longer than glue.
What Are Gnomes
Gnomes were created back in the 16 century. Story tellers would talk about these magical creatures. Even-though gnomes have been around for hundred of years, I feel that they rosed in popularity because of the J. K. Rowling‘s Harry Potter series which was created 1997 to 2000. In the series the gnomes are pests that inhabit the gardens of witches and wizards. They are small creatures with heads that look like potatoes on small stubby bodies.
Why You Love Pinecone Gnome Ornaments
- Kids will love them.
- They will make your holiday tree a conversation piece.
- The gnomes are adorable
- You can hang them on your outdoor trees for decoration
- It makes a great gift idea for the holidays.
Supplies To Make Pinecone Gnomes
- Variety of pinecones: I found mine outside and you can purchase them on amazon.
- Felt fabric: I used white and green felts for hat and scarfs. You can use any color. Get the assorted package in Amazon.
- Wooden beads: I purchased some wooden beads that were cut in half for the small pinecone. I used a small wooden bead for the nose and for larger bead for larger pinecones. You can also use whole beads in assorted sizes.
- Clear cord: This will be using for hanging the ornaments
How To Make Pinecone Gnome Christmas Ornament
- Gather your pinecones and decide what is the best size you want to make your gnomes.
- For felt hat. Cut out a typical triangle pattern for the hat, it can be 6 inches, 12 inches wide on the bottom of the triangle.
Place the fabric on the pattern, cut it out and fold the hat in half. You will use adhesive strips to close it instead of sewing. Turn right side out. Next cute a 6 inch x 1inch wide strip of felt for scarf.
Glue the nose on the pinecone and glue the hat right behind the nose so the hat is covering some of the bead. Wrap the little scarf around the hat in a criss cross way.
For beard I used faux fur or strips of yarn. For faux fur I cut out the beard in a leaf shape. For yarn I cut strips of 2 inch yarn and glued each on individually around the nose. The faux fur beard I placed below the nose as well.
At the end cut a piece of cord and sew on the top of the hat.
What is easiest supplies to use to make the Beard
I found that the faux fur was the easiest to cut to make the beard. I drew a leaf shape to use as a pattern for beard. For small gnomes you can draw a leaf with 3 inch width in the middle.
The yarn is cheaper to use but just time consuming.
Where To Buy the Faux fur Trim
You can buy faux fur in any fabric store. I purchased mine from Amazon. I purchased a medium pile which it came in 2 and 4 inch width.