Creating a jeweled oyster shell ornament can be a fun and makes a beautiful way to decorate your tree.
When we think of the ocean, our minds often conjure images of pristine beaches, crashing waves, and vibrant marine life. But beneath the surface lies a world of hidden treasures, and one of nature’s most exquisite creations is the oyster shell. Join me here to learn how to make a simple oyster shell look even more beautiful using pieces of crushed glass and other misc gems I found in my stash.
Here is another post that that can teach you how to make oyster shell ornaments. I am sharing my holiday ornament with this month Sustainable Craft Challenge. Thanks to Julie from Sum of Stories for hosting this month challenge.
WHAT IS Jeweled Oyster Shell
A jeweled oyster shell ornament is a decorative item often made by embellishing a natural oyster shell with various decorative elements, such as gemstones, pearls, and other adornments. These ornaments can be beautifully crafted and are popular as coastal or nautical-themed decorations. They make for eye-catching pieces that can be used for various purposes, from home decor to special occasions.
Sky is the limit what you can embellish on this oyster shells.
WHY YOU WILL Love Jeweled Oyster Shell Ornament
- They make your tree look beautiful.
- Make great gift ideas.
- It’s fun to make.
- It’s pretty easy and economical to make if you have many of the supplies home.
SUPPLIEs: Jeweled Oyster Shell Ornament
- Oyster shells: I used the 2- 4 inch long oyster shell.
- Small craft jewels or beads and crushed glass.
- Ribbon: Any color ribbon is perfect.
- Craft glue.
- Optional: small decorative accents like tiny seashells, pearls or starfishes
HOW TO Make:
Steps: 1. Prepare the oyster shell: – Clean the oyster shell thoroughly to remove any debris. – If you want to paint the shell, apply a base coat and let it dry completely. To hang drill a hole at the base of the oyster shell using either a drill or Dremel.
2. Design your ornament: – Plan your design by arranging the craft jewels or beads on the shell until you’re happy with the layout.
3. Glue the jewels: – One by one, apply craft glue to the back of each jewel or bead and press them onto the shell. Be creative with your arrangement. 4. Add accents: – If desired, glue additional small decorative accents like tiny seashells or pearls to enhance the design.
5. Let it dry: – Allow the ornament to dry completely according to the glue’s instructions.
6. Add a hanging loop: – Attach a ribbon or string to the shell, creating a loop for hanging.
7. Final touches (optional): – You can add a clear sealant or glaze to protect the jewels and give the ornament a finished look. Once your jeweled oyster shell ornament is dry and complete, you can hang it as a decorative piece, use it as a unique gift, or even incorporate it into holiday decorations. Enjoy your creative project!
What are the best Oyster Shells To Use
The best oyster shells for ornament making are of a size and shape that suits your design. Look for shells with interesting textures and colors, but make sure they are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized to remove any dirt. Smoother shells are often easier to work with, and you can use a variety of sizes to create different designs.
For more sustainable holiday ideas check out these talented ladies creations.
- Stone Cottage Adventures
- Sum of their Stories
- Our Good Life
- Purple Hues and Me
- Crazy Little Love Birds
- Sew Crafty Crochet
- Christine’s Crafts
- Decor Craft Design
- Southern Sunflowers
- Mimi-A Great Name for Grandma