All this week I am celebrating Earth Day. I am excited to be collaborating with Wayfair on such a wonderful topic. For example 6 ways to create a cozy raised garden bed is a sustainable way to get food. Perfect for Earth day. I have always wanted to create a raised garden bed, but here in South Carolina there are many factors that can make it challenging to having one. The garden section of Wayfair section had a great selection.
Getting wood for raised bed!
- I knew I wanted something cozy and easy for the raised bed plans. So I found a very easy kit at the Wayfair garden section called August Grove Crick Planter Box. The kit is naturally rot and insect-resistant cedar
The kit comes with everything you need. I placed the four thick footings on the ground. Take the 8 pieces of 48 inch long cedar and slide it though the footings. It’ a very simple process. Once that part is completed you can easily move the garden. Next you can concentrate on location and building the garden with whatever plants you want.
2. Location for the raised bed DIY.
Location is very important for a garden beds. Since South Carolina has loads of deer, gardens do not survive very well. To reduce deer getting into your garden. Set up a small garden barrier with chicken wire placed over the garden bed.
It should also be in a sunny place and close to water. I am renting a small cottage and the back yard is fenced in. There are no trees so there will be plenty of sun for the garden.
Type of soil to use for gardens!
3. There are all kinds of soils out there! It can be expensive so I went with a combination of three different kinds of organic soils. I used a less expensive soil for the bottom. Then I added some quality compost in the center. Top with a quality organic soil combined with more compost.
Easy vegetables and herbs to grow.
4. When I was brainstorming my garden box plans. I wanted to grow vegetables and herbs that were easy and produce enough food for the summer. So I remember as a child my father grew tomatoes and squash and there were always lots of those in the garden. So I added some cucumbers, basil, squash and tomatoes into the soil and added some little cute signs with the plants name on it.
Giving your plants lots of love!
5. When you transplant the baby plants into the garden bed, make sure you use kid gloves with them. They are very sensitive and delicate to being handle. The stems can break easily. Once there are planted carefully into the rich soil, water them at the base of the stem and dirt meet. Talk to them, as silly as that sounds they respond to music and sound. After a few days I was able to use a lightly spray them with water.
Create a cozy and safe environment for gardening.
6. The last advice I give is to make sure when you are planning raised bed garden ideas that you create a place where you can stop from gardening a few minutes to relax. Have a table and chairs near your garden to enjoy a glass of water or a favorite beverage. Have sun hat to protect from the strong sun rays.
Hope your future includes a raised garden bed. Happy Earth Week.