Key West is a great place to visit for your next vacation. It has history, great food and lovely beaches. So if you are looking for a great vacation check out my post on 8 things to do in Key West for couples.
For our anniversary we traveled to Key West in October. Being the most southernmost point of the United State it’s still very hot and its summer in October. Roosters and Hens run the place in Key West. I think it’s quite charming the way they are perched on people fences and gardens. I found colorful and vibrant town filled with charm.
Where is Key West
Key West is in the Southwestern, Florida. The southernmost city within the continental United States. It lies about 100 miles from the mainland on a sand and coral island about 4 miles long and 1.5 miles wide in the western Florida Keys.
Where To Stay In Key West
There are so many places you can stay. Here is a link to VRBO which includes reviews on many places.
In 1815 the Spanish crown granted the island to a Spanish army officer, Juan Pablo Salas, who sold it to American businessman John Simonton in 1822. That year the island was occupied by U.S. forces under Matthew C. Perry, and a naval depot was soon established by David Porter as a base of operations against pirates. In 1886 a fire destroyed much of the town,
Key West has a blend of Cuban, West Indian, Bahamian, and American atmosphere. The architecture is 19th century wooden homes. It’s a haven for writers, artists, such as Ernest Hemingway.
Things To Do In Key West For Couples
- Legend Ernest Hemingway is one of Key West best known resident. The grand house is beautiful for its time. The first house of its kind to have indoor plumbing and pool. There are lots of feral cats that live on the property. It’s a historic landmark and taken care by the town.
- Duval street is lined with restaurants, bars, art galleries and souvenir shops. It has the best key lime pie at Kermits Key West.
3. Zachery Taylor History park. It’s a great place to go for beaches, swimming or fishing.
4. Key West Boat tour: If you in the mood to go for a boat ride or snorkling this is a place.
5. Little White House was originally built in 1890 as naval command headquarters during the Spanish-American War. President Harry Truman used this house as his winter vacation home and because he spent so many working vacations here, it became known as the Little White House.
6 Key West Light House: Very small width to make it to the top so I didn’t try. My husband did and the views were worth the climb.
7. Conchal Trail Train. Is a good way to learn about the town if you are there for a short time.
8. Sunset Key: Take a boat ride to Sunset Key and have diner there. Rent through VRBO a cottage on the island to explore for the day. It’s another island where the views is amazing.
Photo by Northrup