I have an obsession with botanicals! For the One Room Challenge, I designed my laundry room around a botanical-inspired look. So I thought it is fun to show how I created these fun diy botanical stencil pillows. Paint A Pillow was one of the sponsors. They have these amazing kits that have everything you need to create a stenciled pillow. This past spring, I used the kits for a pillow for my outside porch bench. The beauty of these kits is that they can be used over and over again.
For the Challenge, I needed different styles of leaves to make it more interesting. I used one herb leaf and a tropical leaf stencil from the March Challenge. So I have two different stencils for two different looks. I needed several pillows for my settee in my laundry room so I created two more pillowcases from with leftover canvas fabric. I used the stencil from the pillow kits.
How to Create the Stencil Pillow!
SUPPLIES & INSTRUCTIONS
All you need is a Paint A Pillow Kit! It includes paint, brush, roller, tray, fabric, pillow stuffing, and stencil.
- Shake the paint and pour onto the tray. Take the mini roller and roll-over the paint. Press the roller down on the tray to make sure the paint is fully absorbed.
- Start stenciling by rolling over the stencil in a light motion. If stencil looks blotchy, roll more.
- For edges that need more paint, use a stencil brush to dab on the edges.
- Bend the metal tabs up on the frame and remove the stencil. The pillow cover now needs to dry.
- When pillow cover is dried you can remove it and add the stuffing. Attach more fabric or pillow cover to make another stencil pillow.
- In the end, you can heat-set your pillow using wax paper and an iron. Place the wax paper over the stenciled area. Briefly iron over the wax paper, this will set the paint and you can wash the pillow cover.