Learn to make Blue and white Chinoiserie Christmas stocking with beautiful blue and white fabric
Ever since I visited Capri, Italy I fell in love with the fabrics. One that stood out was blue and white flowers that are used to make beautiful tablecloths. It was my big inspiration to make these holiday stocking.
What Is Chinoiserie
Chinoiserie is a style related to Rococo style. The design is lavish looking and subjects are usually in leisure or pleasure form. The fabric for my Christmas stockings has painted bouquet of flowers with birds chirping.
Chinoiserie has become quite popular in home decorating and DIY. I have had so much fun creating all kinds of Chinoiserie projects, especially during the holiday. Anything Chinoiserie looks beautiful decorated for Christmas.
Why You Will Love These Blue and White Chinoiserie Stockings
- The fabric is beautiful.
- The quality of the fabric is great.
- The Christmas stockings are unique and you won’t see anything like it.
- Add a little of Mediterranean for the holidays.
- The design on the fabric is painted by Paula Arndt.
- A lovely, lilting floral toile with birds, bees and butterflies, entwined by ribbons, in a rich ink blue on white.
Supplies Needed To Make Blue And White Chinoiserie Stockings.
- Chinoiserie fabric : I found this chinoiserie fabric at Spoonflower. They have the most gorgeous fabrics but at a price. Many of the designs on the fabrics are paintings from the artist. The fabric is floral toile with birds, bees and butterflies, entwined by ribbons, in a rich ink. For more similar and budget friendly fabric options here is a pretty floral fabric.
- Blue gingham fabric. This adds a beautiful contrast against the fabric. It really makes the stocking stand out. There is a long ribbon that is tied into a bow.
- White linen or cotton fabric: This is for the cuff
- White lining: For the inside of the stocking.
How To Make The Blue and White Chinoiserie Stocking.
1 .You will need a pattern to make this stocking. I purchased the pattern from Anastasia Sew for $5.00. The pattern comes in 3 pieces, with a base stocking, lining, cuff and a loop for hanging. Cut it on craft paper.
2. Pin the fabric and lay it out over a cutting mat. Cut each piece individually on the cutting mat with a Rotary cutter.
3. Start by sewing the2 pieces of the chinoiserie fabric inside out. (Sew 1/4 seam all around the stocking.)
4. For the lining you need to also cut 2 pieces. Take the lining and sew 1/4 seam around for except keep a 3 inch space anywhere, (This will be where you pull everything through the opening. )
5. For the cuff you will need two cut 2 patterns, I came up with this idea so it fits the stocking perfectly. The cuff needs to be bigger. Trace one of the pattern on white paper and cut it out. Tape the wider pattern to the identical pattern on the wider side.
6. After you cut the patterns.Take the cuff and sew both side. Fold the cuff in half and iron.
7. Pull the cuff over the chinoiserie stocking all right side up.
8. Take your loop pattern place the linen on it and cut loop. Fold in half long way. Sew on one side. With a safety pin attached it to the edge and pull through it will make the loop right side out..
Make sure you position the loop folded. Pin the loop, cuff and stocking. This is to keep in place.
9. Next you will insert everything into the lining which is inside out. See images below and make sure you take pins off and repin with the lining at the same point where you pinned the loop. (Keep loop the same positions before.) Sew 1/4 inch along the opening all around.
10. Pull everything through the hole, sounds confusing it will work if you follow these steps. Iron everything and now you are ready to make bow.
11. To make bow you have to make a pattern which is easy 39 inches long and 5 inches wide. Use heavy craft paper to make pattern. Place the fabric on the pattern and pin. Once its pinned cut out with rotary scissors. With a chalk make the a line to create the point for the bow.(see images below) Before you sew all the seams keep a small space open to pull right side. After you sew all sides, including the ends following the chalk line. Cut the remaining fabric at the end, You ready to. Pull through the opening right side.
Tips On making The Chinoiserie Holiday Stocking.
- I used a high quality cotton fabric, I advice using the same.
- When using a pattern make sure you cut it out from a heavy duty paper.
- Keep a opening of the lining in the middle along the seam.
- When inserting the main stocking into the lining make sure is wrong side and make sure the main stocking, cuff and loop are right side and everything is lined up along the seam and pinned evenly.
- Pin the bow with a safety pin underneath the cuff.
Pin This For Later
For more information about these stocking check out CapriHome Shop